Apply for the GSC-SHRM Scholarships
Apply for the GSC-SHRM Scholarship
Scholarship: $1,000 for a degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate program
Number: 2 scholarships
Applications open: by August 17, 2020
Deadline: September 18th, 2020 (midnight, Eastern)
Notified of Results: October 11, 2020 GSC- SHRM Conference
- Current students, who are New Jersey residents or attending a NJ college
- Enrolled in a degree-seeking undergraduate or graduate program with at least one full semester remaining before graduation (see additional clarification below), OR accepted and ready to begin your studies within six months*
- University is a regionally accredited institution of higher learning
- Degree program is HR-related (e.g. business, psychology, HR, org development, etc.)
- Up to two (2) scholarships will be awarded each year. Each scholarship, one to an undergraduate student and one to a graduate student, will be in the amount of $1,000 to be used towards an educational activity that will enhance the recipient's human resources leadership capability.
- Completed applications must be submitted by September 18th, 2020.
- Scholarship winners will be approved by the Garden State SHRM Council meeting and announced after approval by the Council. Scholarships will be presented at the Garden State Council - SHRM Annual Conference & Expo.
- All decisions are final.
How to Apply
Theapplication is comprised of the following components:
The application form which requires you to attach:
- A current resume, including volunteer and extracurricular activities
- A personal statement – 2 pages or less describing your interest in human resources and your professional goal(s) as it relates to human resources
- An official transcript demonstrating academic performance
- Contact information for three (3) references, one of which must be from a recent professor. You will need to email these 3 references the Recommendation Form link. The Recommendation Form must be submitted online by your references by the September 18th deadline.
- Submit the completed online application on or before the September 18th deadline.
- A panel of judges will review the complete applications. The panel consists of three (3) to (5) human resources professionals and includes three (3) members from the Garden State SHRM Council Board and up to two (2) additional members designated by the Board.
- Selection is based on a demonstrated commitment to a career in human resources, scholastic achievement, and/or successful work experience. Favorable consideration will be given to students who are SHRM Student members and to those who participate in a SHRM Student Chapter at their college.
- All decisions are final.
Questions? Ready to Apply?
- ONLINE Application Form
- ONLINE Recommendation Form (Right click and copy this link and email to your 3 references asking them to submit for you before the September 18th deadline)
For more information, or to request an application, please contact:
Elisha Vlashi Garden State Council-SHRM Director, College Relations Email: e [dot] vlashi [at] skimgroup [dot] comPhone: 201 375 3599
If you are selected to receive a scholarship, GSC-SHRM will issue the funds directly to you for payment of tuition and course-related fees, up to $1,000. Your scholarship may be used for any academic session within 2020 or 2021 and must be claimed in time to distribute the funds to you no later than December 31, 2020.
Each scholarship is a one-time award; however previous applicants and past scholarship recipients are eligible to re-apply. Full-time, part-time, online and distance learning programs are acceptable. Scholarships are for college-degree programs only and may not be used to attend professional development seminars.
By accepting a scholarship, you are consenting to allow GSC-SHRM to use without limitation, and in any media, your name, city, state, photos, and captions (if uploaded), and verbiage for marketing and promotional purposes.
Employees or board members of GSC-SHRM, SHRM or the SHRM Foundation and members of their immediate family are not eligible to apply for SHRM Foundation grants, awards or scholarships.
The SHRM Foundation does not discriminate against individuals on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, religion, disability, age, veteran status, ancestry, national origin or citizenship in the administration of its scholarship programs. Scholarship recipients are selected primarily on merit.