Garden State Council SHRM Human Resource Leadership Scholarship
Sponsored by the Garden State Council of the Society for Human Resources Management, the Human Resource Leadership Scholarship is designed to develop strategic leadership in human resources. Scholarships are awarded to support current and aspiring HR professionals pursuing a Human Resources Management graduate or undergraduate degree at eligible institutions of higher education. The world in which we work is constantly changing and so do the roles and responsibilities of human resources professionals. Top management is looking to human resources more and more for guidance on how to deal with challenges facing their organization. Human Resources professionals must be prepared to assist and lead organizations to success.
The scholarship program is open to current students, who are NJ residents or attending a NJ college, pursuing either an undergraduate or graduate degree in Human Resources Management, Personnel Psychology, Industrial/Organizational Psychology or Labor Relations through any university or college in New Jersey. You need to provide evidence of enrollment in a Human Resources program of study. Students must meet the following criteria:
- Undergraduate students must have completed at least 60 credit hours and demonstrate satisfactory academic performance, as defined by a grade point average of 3.0 (equivalent to a "B" average).
- Graduate students must have completed 9 credit hours of graduate work and demonstrated satisfactory academic performance, as defined by a grade point average of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale.
Up to two (2) scholarships will be awarded each year. Each scholarship, one to an undergraduate student and one to a graduate student, will be in the amount of $1,000 to be used towards an educational activity that will enhance the recipient's human resources leadership capability. Completed applications must be submitted by May 1. Scholarship winners will be approved at the July Garden State SHRM Council meeting and announced two weeks after approval by the Council. Scholarships will be presented at the Garden State Council - SHRM Annual Conference & Expo.
The application is comprised of the following components:
The application form which requires you to attach:
- A current resume, including volunteer and extracurricular activities
- A personal statement – 2 pages or less describing your interest in human resources and your professional goal(s) as it relates to human resources
- An official transcript demonstrating academic performance
- Contact information for three (3) references, one of which must be from a recent professor. You will need to email these 3 references the Recommendation Form link. The Recommendation Form must be submitted online by your references by the May 1st deadline.
Submit the completed online application on or before the May 1st deadline.
A panel of judges will review the complete applications. The panel consists of three (3) to (5) human resources professionals and includes three (3) members from the Garden State SHRM Council Board and up to two (2) additional members designated by the Board.
Selection is based on a demonstrated commitment to a career in human resources, scholastic achievement and/or successful work experience. Favorable consideration will be given to students who are SHRM Student members and to those who participate in a SHRM Student Chapter at their college.
All decisions are final.
Questions? Ready to Apply?
- ONLINE Application Form
- ONLINE Recommendation Form (Right click and copy this link and email to your 3 references asking them to submit for you before the May 1st deadline)
For more information, or to request an application, please contact:
Garden State Council-SHRM Director, College Relations
Email: e [dot] vlashi [at] skimgroup [dot] com
Phone: 201 375 3599